Reporting to: Programme Officer
Location: Garden Estate, off Thika Road, along Garden Estate Road, Kenya
Contract: 1 year renewable (subject to satisfactory performance)
The Institute for Culture and Ecology (ICE) is a national indigenous non-governmental organization (NGO) that was started in 2006 and is registered in Kenya under the NGO Coordination Act. ICE accompanies communities in rediscovering the value of local knowledge and local resources in livelihoods improvement and environmental conservation. ICE is seeking to recruit a highly competent individual to fill the position of Project Officer, Food Security and Livelihoods.
- Purpose of Position:
To provide support in the implementation of the Food Sovereignty and Community Livelihoods programs being implemented among local communities by the Institute for Culture and Ecology (ICE).
- Key Responsibilities
Reporting to the Programme Officer, Food Sovereignty and Community Livelihoods, the holder of this position will be required to support in formulation, development and implementation of specific projects’ goals and objectives within the Food Sovereignty and Community Livelihoods Programme.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Spearhead the conceptualization, innovation, planning and management of Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) projects
- Participate in conducting monitoring and evaluation of Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL) projects
- Prepare project documentation by ensuring consistency with goals, objectives and organizational strategic plan
- Participate in developing annual work plans for the Food Sovereignty and Community Livelihoods projects in accordance with the strategic plan
- Guide and supervise field contact persons (field-based project assistants), identify their training needs and address them through elaborate capacity building
- Collect and summarize field assistants progress and monitoring reports
- Provide information and support to the farmer groups to ensure implementation of activities in accordance with the project and organizational strategic objectives
- Support collaboration and partnership with relevant government bodies/departments (at national and county levels) and partner with NGOs in activities related to Food Security and Livelihoods in the target areas
- Provide information needed for and participating in developing progress and annual reports
- Participate in organization fundraising efforts through development of funding proposals
- Develop and implement a value-chain and marketing strategies for farmer groups produce for community sustainability
- Support in documentation of case studies, success stories and media linkages
- Support in ensuring gender mainstreaming during project implementation as well as identifying advocacy opportunities in the community
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Education and Extension, General Agriculture (Agronomy) or related fields such as Agroecology
- Persons with training or experience in organic farming in addition to the degree in agriculture- related field will have added advantage
- Minimum 2 years’ work experience in a related field. Those with practical experience in fundraising and/or managing donor-funded livelihoods projects are highly preferred
- Good communication skills and facilitating or training skills.
- Good knowledge and experience in working with computers particularly Microsoft office.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in diverse cultural contexts
- Good organization and time management skills
- High degree of innovativeness and creativity
Persons (strictly) meeting above qualifications and requirements and are interested in the position are requested to submit their cover letter/application and CV through;
The application should reach ICE by 10th April 2022 by 5pm.
NB: All gender are encouraged to apply and only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Canvassing is prohibited and any culprit will be disqualified