The County Government of Kiambu, Department of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation in collaboration with Institute for Culture and Ecology (ICE-Kenya) and other partners have been working on strategies to promote agro-ecological farming practices in Kiambu County with the aim of addressing adverse climate and nutrition issues. This aims at enhancing food and nutrition security by supporting productivity while maintaining environmental sustainability and promoting rural economies.
Agro-ecology is farming that “centers on food production that makes the best use of nature’s goods and services while not damaging these resources. Agroe-cological farming seeks to improve food yields for balanced nutrition, strengthen fair markets for their produce, enhance healthy ecosystems, and build on ancestral knowledge and customs.
To promote adoption of sustainable and agro-ecological farming practices in the county, there is need for policy development. In this regard, Kiambu County Department of Agriculture, Livestock and Irrigation and ICE-Kenya are looking for a consultant to work with the steering committee in development of a policy for agro-ecological farming in Kiambu County.
- SCOPE OF WORK
The consultant will work with key stakeholders (CGK line departments, farmer groups and networks, CSOs and private sector players) to develop a policy document on agro-ecological farming. The policy will cover issues proposed by stakeholders which include: harvesting water for agriculture, soil regeneration and healing, capacity development and marketing of agro-ecological farm produce among other practices .
Specifically the Consultant will:
- Demystify agro-ecological farming. Redefine to simple terms and components understood by stakeholders and farmers
- Review how agro-ecology is integrated in agriculture policies from global to national level and how can be integrated in Kiambu County Policy.
- Participate in stakeholders meetings to collect and collate their views.
- Participate in public sensitization forums to take farmers views.
- Update the policy development to steering committee and county technical personnel
- Hold update meetings with steering committee
- Formulate a draft policy while working closely with the steering committee
- Present the draft plan to steering committee and various stakeholders for validation
- Present the final draft to the County
- DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The Consultant will be engaged during steering committee meetings, stakeholder’s forums and public participation forums activities (total 8 days meetings) which will be between March-August, 2020.
- REPORTING TO
The Consultant will be reporting to steering committee spearheaded by representative from County department of Agriculture and a representative from Institute for Culture and Ecology (ICE).
- A policy document
- DOCUMENTS TO BE PROVIDED TO A CONSULTANT
- County agriculture curriculums used by extension officers
- Any agriculture and environmental related policy in place
- Reports on multi-stakeholders forums and public forums held on agro-ecological farming
- QUALIFICATIONS AND SUBMISSION OF BIDS
The Consultant should have the following qualifications;
- Should be a degree holder in Agricultural related areas or public policy development related discipline. (Those with a post-graduate training have added advantage).
- Should have at least 5 years on – sustainable agriculture project and policy work.
- Sound experience on conducting qualitative and quantitative research in general on policy development process.
- Familiarity with relevant developments related to agriculture and policy development.
- Familiarity with global discourse on regenerative organic agriculture and food and nutrition security
Qualified and interested consultants (s) are invited to submit their Expression of Interest to undertake the above defined work. Technical and financial proposals to undertake the consultancy should be submitted electronically not later than 16th March, 2020 to email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org
The proposal should clearly indicate the consultant’s specific experience (please attach CV), provide a clear interpretation of the ToR and outline the proposed methodology and budget indicating charges. NB: ICE will meet logistical costs during field work i.e. travel, meals and accommodation for the consultant, therefore should NOT be included in the financial proposal.
|Job Category||Consultancy service|