Reporting to: Director
Location: Garden Estate, Along Thika Road, Kenya
Contract: 2 year renewable (subject to effective performance)
The Institute for Culture and Ecology (ICE) is a national indigenous non-governmental organization (NGO) that was started in 2006 and is registered in Kenya under the NGO Coordination Act. ICE accompanies communities in rediscovering the value of local knowledge and local resources in livelihoods improvement and environmental conservation.
The position holder will be reporting to the Director and will be responsible for ensuring proper maintenance of ICE financial records and accounts and smooth functioning of all ICE Finance Department operations. This will include processing and recording of all financial transactions; all financial reporting to funders; and managing relationships with suppliers and partner organisations and ensuring the organization meets its statutory obligations on time, among other responsibilities. S/He will also assist in performing some administrative duties particularly supervising the Finance and Administration
- Ensure all payments are correctly authorised, recorded and paid.
- Ensure monthly reconciliation of all bank accounts done
- Ensure all financial transactions are correctly recorded in the accounting system
- Prepare monthly financial management accounts
- Ensure statutory deductions and other remittances are executed on time
- Support ICE Management in preparation of the annual budget and project specific budgets
- Ensure timely financial reporting
- Ensure donors financial reports are timely done and submitted
- Ensure up to date organization assets record and insurance cover
- Ensure organization finance, personnel policies and procedures are adhered
- Supervising sub-ordinate staff
- Ensuring staff records are updated
- Facilitating external audits and implementing recommendations of audit management letter
- Implementing recommendations of accounting, systems & compliance audits commissioned by donor agency(ies)
- Monitor grant and contract expenditures against original budgets; develop expenditure projections and provide guidance and feedback to the field team, the Director, and project program staff and liaise with the donors regarding financial status and future expenditures.
- Maintain and update Grants Master files and ensure adherence to the grant contractual obligations;
- Participate in fundraising for the organization.
Professional and personal attributes
- Five (5) years experience in multi-donor financial accounting and management
- Experience in office management and logistical support
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Working experience with QuickBooks and any other current financial management systems/softwares
- Proactive approach to work, self-motivation and a team player
- Excellent inter-personal skills, ability to deal with people from different cultures
- Flexibility to work and adapt to changing demands and circumstances
- Ability to train basic skills on finance for non-finance personnel
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Commerce (Finance), Accounting (Essential).
- Minimum of CPA (3) or equivalent qualification
Applicants are invited to send application letter illustrating how they meet the above requirements plus a detailed curriculum vitae with names and full phone contacts of three (3) current referees. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org and cc. email@example.com
Closing Date for receipt of applications is Monday 10th August 2020 at 5.00 pm.
Please Note: Applications only submitted to emails given above.
Institute for Culture and Ecology